One of my favorite blogs is Lindsey Mead’s A Design So Vast. She writes about books, about parenting, about living. I subscribe to her posts, and when they arrive a couple of times a week, I’m always delighted. Today, she wrote about what makes her happy and ended with the question to her readers: What makes you happy?
Can’t resist such a great question. Thus:
- School lunch. Seriously. Our cafeteria has delicious lunches that rival a gourmet restaurant. They’re super healthy and a great value: entree, fruit, salad, milk and something else (but by that time I usually run out of hands) for a grand total of $4. Today, baked chicken tenders, baked sweet potato fries, roasted cauliflower with tomatoes and broccoli. I always wish I could bring in a to-go box because then I could feed E for dinner (I still might try that in the spring).
- Knowing that spring flowers are coming soon
- Smaller snow banks
- Watching the sunset out my window
- Walking to the subway with E singing along in his carrier in the mornings
- Coffee, journal, NPR when I wake up
- Play dates in the Boston Public children’s library with a great friend and no cell phones
- Visits from a friend who brings ice cream and entertains herself while I wash food out of E’s hair
- Connie Britton in anything
- Capturing a great shot of E on my camera
- Reading food magazines and blogs
- Re-reading old Moleskine notebooks where I’ve collected great quotations and other marginalia
- Writing really long emails to my best friend
- Staring out my classroom window at random points during the day and always being grateful I did
- A bowl of pho: extra limes, hot sauce, all white meat chicken
- Knitting: but only scarves or baby blankets
- Hootie and the Blowfish. Forever.
- For that matter, turning on the 90s Pandora station every morning and dancing and singing with E as we get ready for the day
- Kids who I have known since they were sophomores, and for whom I’ve written letters of recommendation, returning to tell me about their college acceptances
- Felicity episodes every now and then
Another list I hope to return to for those days when I’m not feeling so happy for an instant pick-me-up