I started Me Before You on a recommendation from some website I can’t remember, much because I’ve always enjoyed literary-ish chick lit along the lines of Big Little Lies and wanted to read more of that type of book.
Once I hit the point of no return with MBY early this week, all I’ve wanted to do for the last 24 hours has been to read. Nonstop. I haven’t been this fixated on reading ALL THE TIME in a long while. It is equal parts exhilarating and frustrating because all I want to do is lock myself away somewhere and see how it all ends.
I admit it: I’ve neglected a number of tasks, paid a divided attention to my boy, and much more. Here, I list my transgressions in the name of reading this book:
- I stayed up for two hours straight two nights in a row, television off, NPR turned down low, prone on my couch reading.
- At school today, I extended my students’ independent reading time and pushed back conferences so I could sit and read.
- When I knew the public library had the sequel to MBY and that they couldn’t hold it, I ran out of the building between classes and checked it out because I did not want to stare down the weekend and the possibility of not knowing what happens next, or at least having to wait until Monday.
- I gave E an extra piece of fruit to eat on the commute home so he would be occupied while I furtively read a few pages.
- I let E play in the bath tub while I sat beside him on a stool, reading.
I really cannot remember the last time I have been so determined to finish a book. More, I also am in a state of flow: time seems to have stopped. When I come up for air, I have lost any track of how much time has passed and sometimes I have to snap myself back to reality. I am fully invested in the protagonist, have ugly cried at my kitchen table at 5 a.m. because I was so sad about plot events…I’m taking a break to write this slice because I have less than 20 pages left and I just.don’t.want.it.to.end.
And when it does, I imagine I’ll be as consumed with the sequel. Hopefully it will be as good as the original.
But OMG! There’s going to be a movie?! That comes out this year? I LIVE.
Image source: http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1357108762l/15507958.jpg